Saturday, March 28, 2009

Both Sides Now - An ode to a life that now and then needs some repair

The world is celebrating Earth Hour right now. I am supposed to shut down all forms of life in our household that is powered by electricity. Of course that includes my computer.

But here I am - blogging. I could blog later, maybe, by midnight, but I am blogging now. Why not, peanut?

Well I know that I have done Mother Earth many worthwhile services, Thus Spake Zarathustra, I shouldn’t feel guilty about wasting a bit of energy on a very meaningful endeavor that is blogging.

It is because I have a sparkling reason why I must blog now and not later - I saw, via YouTube, a live Joni Mitchell performance of one of her most achingly beautiful songs, Both Sides Now.
Yes, the version featured in the film Love Actually, specifically in that really heartbreaking scene when Emma Thomson discovered her husband’s infidelity – well, I can relate to the situation, though not as the heartbroken one, but as the infidel.

And yes, that same song murdered by Sharon Cuneta. If it is ever true that her senator husband is having these flings here, there and everywhere, then she truly deserves the corresponding sense of neglect and insecurity if only because she grossly disrespected one of Joni Mitchell’s life-affirming life-mirroring masterpieces.

Now back to Joni Mitchell’s Both Sides Now.

Sigh.

I should have been in tears. But I was not. Not because I was not moved. I was. Completely. Insanely. It’s just that I don’t cry that easily. I mourn. I suffer. I whine. And I blog.

Sigh.

In the last few seconds of the performance, Joni Mitchell laid down her arresting passion on these humble lines: “I’ve looked at life from both sides now, from up and down, and still somehow, its life’s illusions I recall, I really don’t know life at all.”

I think only so few in this earth have humbly understood life. And for many of us, we can only stand still for just a little bit of time or take a step back and let our hearts do the thinking – our life, though it is in good disrepair, is not really that bad, it just needs some repair now and then and then and now.

No comments: