Monday, December 17, 2007

The wisdom of Christmas decors

It is eight days before Christmas. My 27th Christmas here in this beautiful earth.

For a very long time, I think I had abandoned the usual excitement that most people feel about Christmas. Ever since high school and college and the first few years as a bona fide taxpayer, Christmas was nothing more than the usual parties and exchange gifts and the two-week vacation.

Perhaps during these years I was just basking in this Holden Caulfieldish approach to life. Perhaps I was just so fucked up with work and any form of stress-free diversion was most welcome. Or perhaps the interior of our house was just unpainted and its gray concrete walls were just sooo poverty stricken that no amount of Christmas trimmings could ever save it from steadily falling from grace.


But this year is gonna be different. I had known it for months. Ever since October, when I played Sarah's Wintersong and Celine's These Are Special Times. Ever since the commercialized aspect of Christmas was manifested in the malls... Uhum... What I am really trying to say here is that my renewed passion for Christmas began when I started spending a few hundreds (thousands, I fear) for Christmas trimmings - balls, ribbons, garlands, beads, lights blah blah blah.

Of course, conventional wisdom would dictate that Christmas should be all about spending time with family and loved ones and thanking the Lord for his gift of love and gift of life. This wisdom will always be timeless and will always be true and will always be cherished. On the other hand, it is also extra nice to put up a tree in one lonely corner of the house or hang some wreaths and garlands and adorn them with flowers and balls and ribbons and dancing lights. And you could just imagine how wonderful it is to decorate your home together with your mom and pop!

As they say, "a thing of beauty is a joy forever." That is why I have always been joyful joyful joyful and unsinkable all these weeks. Well, if you think that my Christmas decors are not really that pretty or wonderful, then you shall never ever be welcome in my home! Hahahaha.

I wish I won't have to keep these decors in their boxes by January. I wish I could decorate my walls again soon, like this summer. I wish it's October once again so I could once again splurge a bit on additional trimmings and my dream Nativity scene. I wish your Christmas decors are as pretty as mine so you won't be green with envy.

Merry Christmas!


1 comment:

Lein said...

ahehehe! naa gyud nimo ang artwork na mary-joseff-jesus, kuyajess!